Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Skip to main content

Reporting asbestos

Illegal dumping of asbestos can damage the environment and threaten human health.

Report illegally dumped asbestos to the NSW EPA.

A licensed removalist must dispose of asbestos at a licensed waste facility.


Dumping asbestos is illegal

Contact local landfill sites to confirm asbestos waste rules.
Dumped asbestos wrapped in black plastic in an area marked off with hazard tape

How do I report illegal dumping of asbestos?

Call 1800 Asbestos (1800 272 378) or the NSW EPA Environment line on 131 555 to report illegally dumped asbestos. 

Do I need to report asbestos in my home?

If you have asbestos on your property and it is not damaged, you don’t need to do anything. Leave asbestos-containing materials alone if they are in good condition.

If there is damage or you’re renovating, a licensed asbestos professional can identify the asbestos and manage its removal.

Do I need to report asbestos in my commercial property?

You must have an Asbestos Register if your commercial property was built before 2004.

Anyone working on your property must request the register. As the commercial property owner or "person conducting business undertakings" (PCBU), you must provide the register to anyone working on your property.

The Register should be readily accessible -  especially to people who undertake or who may undertake work on your property.